About meTrust the Process
Information About Me
Research: I am a Research Associate in the Earth System Dynamics group
(leader: Prof. Todd Ehlers at the University of Glasgow) and Sustainable future paths and Climate Variability
group (SPACY) with Prof. Kira Rehfeld as the leader. I perform climate simulations using isotope-enabled General
Circulation Models (e.g., MPI-ESM), develop scientific software using machine learning algorithms and advanced statistics,
and manage numerous projects such as ANDeeL (Precipitation Nowcasting deep learning framework for West Africa),
pyESD (Empirical Statistical Downscaling), NAO-NONSTAT (understanding the non-stationarity of the North Atlantic
Oscillation influence on regional climate) and others. I am interested in solving real-world problems with my
scientific understanding and technical skills.
Hobby: I love to volunteer for societal-building activities, enjoy playing and watching football, am passionate about new technology (AI monster), and like spending time with my family. I am mostly coding and reading about APIs for new challenges.
in High Impact Journals
(e.g., EGU, AGU)
2021.08 - present
Software Engineer Intern - ALX-Africa | Holberton
C programming, Graphic programming, Unix programming, Data structures and Algorithm, Reverse engineering and security, and infrastructure design and management
2021 - present
Ph.D candidate - Department of Geoscience, University of Tübingen
Paleoclimate modeling, climate dynamics, Empirical statistical downscaling, and stable isotope paleoaltimetry
2019 - 2021
Python Software developer - Environmental Physics Group, University of Tübingen
Developed temperature calibration software on Raspi environment: flight temperature sensor control, voltage and pressure control into the calibration chamber and data analysis
2018 - 2021
Research Assistant - Earth surface process Group, University of Tübingen
Sceintific python module development: pyESD (empirical statistical downscaling), pyClimat (Visualizaition tools for climate model output) and running climate simulations on Linux High Performace Computing environment
2019 - 2020
Research Assistant -Max Phlack Institute of Development Biology
Running bioelectric reactor to isolate H2 producing bactria: Analytical chemistry, molecular biology and biotechnology techniques
2017 - 2020
Master of Sceince in Applied and Environmental Geoscience (AEG) - University of Tübingen
Specializaiton in Hydrogeological and climate modeling.
Master thesis: Prediction of precipitation response to 21st century climate change
in the Ammer catchment (South-west Germany): Using Machine Learning algorithms
Grade: First Class
2017 - present
Teaching and Research Assistant - Department of Geological Eng., KNUST-Ghana
Assisting lectures in Geotechnical engineering, Geophysics, Rock Mechanics, Hydrogeology, and computer programming
2017 - present
Bachelors in Geological Engineering - Department of Geological Eng., KNUST-Ghana
Bachelor thesis: Mapping of subsurface fracture characteristics using geoelectrics
Grade: First Class
1. Climate and Tectonic Interactions
The topographic evolution of mountain ranges over geological times is driven by geodynamic processes, such as lithospheric
delamination and crustal thickening, as well as surface processes induced by climate variability. The vertical and horizontal
displacement of orogens also affects climate patterns and dynamics (e.g., orographic precipitation and rain shadow).
My interest is to contribute to the reconstruction of the paleoenvironment by gaining a detailed understanding of the
complex synergies between climate and tectonics. For instance, knowledge about the past elevation of mountain ranges
contributes to the understanding of geodynamic evolution, paleoclimate dynamics, and the distribution of biodiversity.
To contribute to accurate paleoelevation reconstruction, I perform paleoclimate simulations using an isotope-enabled
General Circulation Model (GCM) to quantify the isotopic signal due to surface uplift and paleoenvironmental changes,
such as atmospheric CO2 levels, paleogeography, orbital forcing, and ocean circulations.
The simulated isotopic patterns are combined with the stable isotope paleoaltimetry technique to estimate past elevations.
On the other hand, I am also interested in understanding how surface uplift affects atmospheric circulation and regional
climate patterns. My work has contributed to the understanding of the evolution of the European Alps' geodynamics under
the German Research Foundation-funded SSP project 4DMB (http://www.spp-mountainbuilding.de/).
- Selected papers:
- Boateng, D., Mutz, S. G., and Ehlers, T. A.: How would the eastward propagation of surface uplift in the Alps affect regional climate and isotopic composition of precipitation?, EGU22-843, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu22-843, 2022a.
- S., Ehlers, T. A., Koptev, A., Böhme, M., Methner, K., Risi, C., Stepanek, C., Mutz, S. G., Werner, M., and Boateng, D. Middle Miocene climate and stable oxygen isotopes in Europe based on numerical modeling, Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, 37, e2022PA004442, 2022.
- Boateng, D., Mutz, S. G., Ballian, A., Meijers, M. J., Methner, K., Botsyun, S., Mulch, A., and Ehlers, T. A.: The effects of diachronous surface uplift of the European Alps on regional climate and the oxygen isotopic composition of precipitation, Earth System Dynamics Discussions, 1–45, 2022b.
- Boateng, D., Mutz, S. G., and Ehlers, T. A.: The influence of North Atlantic Oscillation on oxygen and hydrogen stable isotopes in precipitation of the Late Cenozoic: implications for paleoenvironment reconstructions, Copernicus Meetings, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu23-1752, 2023.
2. Atmospheric and Climate Dynamics in the Late Cenozoic
3. Empirical Statistical Downscaling of Climate Information
4. Scientific Software Projects
Publications (Peer reviewed)
- Boateng, D. and Mutz, S. G.: pyESDv1. 0.1: An open-source Python framework for empirical-statistical downscaling of climate information, Geoscientific Model Development Discussions, 2023, 1–58, 2023.
- Boateng, D., Mutz, S. G., Ballian, A., Meijers, M. J., Methner, K., Botsyun, S., Mulch, A., and Ehlers, T. A.: The effects of diachronous surface uplift of the European Alps on regional climate and the oxygen isotopic composition of precipitation, Earth System Dynamics Discussions, 1–45, 2022.
- Botsyun, S., Ehlers, T. A., Koptev, A., Böhme, M., Methner, K., Risi, C., Stepanek, C., Mutz, S. G., Werner, M., and Boateng, D. Middle Miocene climate and stable oxygen isotopes in Europe based on numerical modeling, Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, 37, e2022PA004442, 2022.
- Boateng, D., Mutz, S. G., and Ehlers, T. A.: How would the eastward propagation of surface uplift in the Alps affect regional climate and isotopic composition of precipitation?, EGU22-843, 2022.
- Boateng, D., Mutz, S. G., and Ehlers, T. A.: The influence of North Atlantic Oscillation on oxygen and hydrogen stable isotopes in precipitation of the Late Cenozoic: implications on paleoenvironment reconstructions, Copernicus Meetings, 2023.
- Mutz, S. G. and Boateng, D.: pyESD: An open-source Python framework for empirical-statistical downscaling of climate information, Copernicus Meetings, 2023.
- Sedhu-Madhavan, A., Mutz, S. G., Boateng, D., and Ehlers, T. A.: A model-based exploration of mid-Holocene anti-phase climate variations in the Central Andes, Copernicus Meetings, 2023.
- Mutz, S. G., Boateng, D., and Mohadjer, S.: INTEGRATE: A higher-education teaching package for climate science, EGU22-864, 2022.
- Arthur, F., Boateng, D., and Baidu, M.: Prediction of Rainfall Response to the 21st-century Climate Change in Ghana using Machine Learning Empirical Statistical Downscaling, 2022, H25A-04, 2022.
- Arthur, F., Boateng, D., and Baidu, M.: The Evolution of African Monsoons and its Impacts on Precipitation Seasonality in the Cenozoic and future Climate Change, 2022, PP42D-1147, 2022.
Contact me here
I think am very friendly and nice enough to work with everyone or team. I am a problem solver and have passionate about open source software development. I mostly reply Emails within 3 hrs. Kindly link up for collaboration or information related to any of my projects.
: Tübingen, Germany
: Department of Geoscience, University of Tübingen
: German (Intermediate), English (Advance), Twi (Advance)